Monday, October 29, 2012

The Storm

It's not often that Josh and I get to go on a trip together;  in Fact we realized the last time we were alone on a trip was our Honeymoon.  So when Josh was one of 13 out of 7000 selected to go witness the christening of the USS Minnesota we were excited on many levels, not only were we getting the rare opportunity to see these incredible boats, and I know that this one in particular had been a thorn in my side as Josh had late nights and unexpected out of town trips to work out the kinks... we were getting alone time.  I was terrified.

What if we ran out of things to say?  Who was going to take care of the kids?  How long and boring is a christening of a submarine?

Thankfully our friend Barb Getty, jumped in to take care of the kids, and several others helped, or offered their services if needed.  Thank you to them, I really think the willing to serve by our friends we have met through our church is really one of the best parts of it.

Now that the kids were taken care of, we still had the what to do, and how what were we going to spend 14 hours round trip driving and a total of three days talklilng about?  I was shocked at how fast the trip went, it is amazing how much time stopping for potty breaks can take!  I was even more happy to realize that Josh and I talked non stop, and about a variety of things...I didn't even need my talking points I had planned, just in case.  Talking with our interruption is AWESOME!   We stopped at Williamsburgfor dinner, and caught a couple of Ghost tours, then ate at a period restaurant, in an 18th century bar, where I managed to humiliate myself when I went to the bathroom.

Josh and I had sat down at our table in a room that was lit only by candles, of course I needed to pee. It had been a long drive, so I excused myself and walked out of the room we were in, I crossed through the next room where I ended up in a third room,  I remembered that we had gone through three rooms before we were seated at our table, but for some reason this room didn't have a door, I was positive that we had gone through it, but there wasn't a door, a man was there dressed in period clothing regaling a tale of his travels, so I quietly left the room and went back to the one in the middle, I looked for another door, I found the door that lead to our room, I found a door that lead to the kitchen and was for staff only, and the third door only lead to the room with out a door.  So I went back into the doorless room for a closer look.  I could see an armour, no we didn't pass through that, the storyteller recognized me, and shouted out to me. "My Lady, are you lost?" I said, "I can't find the door." Then he said, "It is right here, and the lue is down the stairs and to the right" Then he opened the door and I took my walk of shame across the room with every eye staring at me, I had interrupted their story,  everyone knew where I was headed, and why,  and they had nothing else to look at.  I made sure to take an extra long time so I wouldn't risk interrupting again.

After dinner we went to our hotel, and got ready for the christening the next morning.  We were among the few invited to the breakfast before, and the luncheon afterwards.  Josh and I were excited, and it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  There was music, speakers, a choir, and it rained balloons.





After the Christening we changed our clothes and we were excited to head to the beach.  However, the beach was not as relaxing as we thought it would be.  Hurricane Sandy was coming in, we tried to walk along for as long as we could, and finally gave up.  It was just too windy and the water was too rough, so we headed to the lighthouse,
 we got a mile away and were stopped by the national guard, the lighthouse was closed because of the storm.  So we headed back to the hotel and came up with new plans...a nap.  The next day we headed home, we attempted to make one more stop, and stopped at Jamestown.  We got close and realized, as we saw the national guard it was also closed because of the storm.  So we went home.  It wasn't the vacation we have dreamed about, but we were together, and we can saw we were in a hurricane.  And that's what counts

2 comments:

Karen's Korner of the World said...

So cool to see a little of what Josh does

Zent Family said...

YEA!!! I'm so excited you got some one-on-one time with your man!!! Maybe this is a start of some kid-free trips?!?!