Thursday, March 7, 2013

Life with a boy and another terrible Sunday

There is no doubt about it, boys are different.  Wednesdays are our busy day, Mia has dance at 5, Mckinlee has Gymnastics at 6, she finishes at 7, and Mia finishes at 8.  We literally spend the evening dropping off and picking up, because of this Wednesday has been declared as leftover night, unless I don't have any then it's crock pot or pizza night.  Last night may change how I do things though...
It started off with Wynter and I making cookies together, she was feeling left out of the hustle and bustle, we creamed the butter and sugar, and I started to measure out the dry ingredients, as I was measuring the salt, and Wynter was sneaking tastes of creamed butter and sugar, Ryken was being suspiciously quiet, I checked to see what he was doing just in time to watch him grab Wynter by her Snow White dress and pull with all of his might, ripping her off of the chair she was standing on, she crashed to the floor, the chair flew up into the air, flipped upside down and came crashing down on her.  I comforted Wynter, tried to scold a 16 month old boy, and finished making the stupid cookies.  Later I set out all of the leftover food choices for the evening, as I was washing a few dishes, Ryken grabbed the container of ranch dressing dropped it to the floor,  from a chair, and laughed as it exploded all over the dining room.  Josh ran him to the tub and I cleaned up the mess.  Ryken came back down and I went back to cleaning the kitchen, as I washed the counter, Ryken opened the sour cream container and painted my dining room set with sour cream, so I cleaned up that mess, and as I swept the floor I heard a very loud crash, I came running in to the other room to find Ryken had toppled the metal tower containing all of my cookbooks.  It was a rough evening.

Wednesday doesn't even compare to Sunday, a few short weeks ago.  Josh left for church, I got myself ready, Mia got ready, and I was in the process of getting everyone else ready, I asked Mia if she would grab a bottle for Ryken, she did.  We headed off to church.  In our rush to go I hadn't gotten Ryken breakfast,  so once we got to church, settled in, and the meeting began I gave him his bottle.  During the sacrament, we received the bread, and Ryken started a little cough...a cough that I have become all too familiar with...he was about to throw up.  The passers were right behind me, I didn't have any time and now where to go, so I pulled him into my chest just in time for 10 plus ounces of milk to come spewing out all over me.  In slow motion, I looked and saw McKinlee Laughing and yelling out this is hysterical, Mia was gagging and laughing, and Wynter had huge eyes and was covering her smile.  Bailee, a friend who sits with us to help me, jumped up and said I will go grab some towels, then I looked at my husband who was sitting on the stand with his head bowed and his eyes closed completely oblivious to what was going on.
I watched and waited for him to open them and look over in my direction.  He finally did and I signaled that I needed him to come down, he just looked at me.  I know he was thinking we are in the middle of the sacrament I am sure what ever it is can wait.  So I signaled more forcefully, he knew I meant business so he came down, prepared to take and scold what ever child was acting up bad enough that I needed him to come down. (this is the first time I have ever pulled him off of the stand)  When he got the our pew his eyes grew large in understanding he grabbed Ryken and left the room.  Bailee finally got back with the towels so I could wipe myself off before I got up, I cleaned off what I could, got ready to get up and remembered I had taken off one shoe so McKinlee could practice tying; and wouldn't you know that shoe was in the direct line of runoff.  It was filled, I cleaned it out the best I could, bucked up and put it back on, and walked out of the meeting trying to save some small shred of dignity.  Once I got out, I grabbed Ryken from Josh, looked at him and simply said, you will have to bring the girls home, I won't be coming back, and we left.  So glad Bailee and Elaine finished cleaning up the mess, and that I didn't even have to ask them to watch the girls...they just assumed the role.
Mia later admitted that she couldn't find a bottle, but found on his his crib from the night before, it was mostly full so she figured it was okay. 

If this hasn't been enough to have you crying in laughter today Ryken has already climbed on top of every table in the house, thrown every cookbook that is sitting on my table from last nights spill, chased his sisters with a toilet brush, and  found a cookie that the girls left somewhere, and happily rubbed his snotty, chocolaty cookie face all over the clean whites that I am folding...it's going to be a long day

 I am in over my head with this boy stuff.  If anyone has any ideas on how I can channel this curious energy for the greater good, I am all ears.

3 comments:

kate said...

oh mercy!!! i can't believe he managed to get 10 ounces of rotten milk down before barfing it back up! good thing he is so stinking lovable. i tell you one thing, you don't need to worry one second about missing a bit of church on days like that, i think your place in heaven is pretty much all wrapped up by now. :)

aunt nancy said...

Quick! Say "Future missionary" 3 times out loud and breathe.

Emilytw said...

Oh my, you are amazing! I know my 18 month old boy is into nearly everything right now too. btw, I usually feel like we bring the entertainment to church (or maybe it's a 3 ring circus, lol), and that's w/ 2 of us... You do it with your husband on the stand, so kudos to you.