Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A last minute cross country trip

Not all of you know Jarom.  Jarom is Josh's little brother.  He was 9 years old when Josh and I were married. When Josh and I were dating Jarom came and spent a week with Josh while his parent took a trip together, at first Jarom thought it would be a fun week, hanging out with his older brother, at college...he soon found out that an apartment full of aspiring engineers is not very exciting.  So he started to find his way over to my apartment, he knew Josh and I had started dating, seriously, and an apartment full of girls was a lot more fun.  Everyday for a week I would find Jarom knocking on our door or waiting on our stairs waiting for one of us to come home.  We made cookies, got Aggie Ice Cream, played games, I taught him how to play some guitar cords, random stuff.  It was a great week.  While Josh and I were engaged Jarom would squeeze his way between us when we would watch movies or cuddle on the couch, when we got married he refused to take a shower before heading to the temple, it got to the point where Josh's other brother and sister's had to leave for the wedding or miss it.  They left him, a neighbor ended up bringing him later.
After Josh and I were married Jarom and I would go on little dates together.  Ususally to get Ice Cream, while Josh would stay home with little Mia.  After we moved to Pittsburgh, we talked all of the time mostly about stupid stuff, once he was 16 and Josh and I would visit Utah, Jarom and I would still go on our little dates, we began a quest to find the best cupcakes in the Kaysville, Utah area.  When Jarom received his mission call, he went to Paris France, I would write him often,  he served for a while in the office, a few times we ended up on the computer at the same time and have a few quick chats.  We were buds, we have been for almost 13 years.

Two weeks ago Josh and I were sitting outside, our air conditioner was broken and it was too hot inside.  We were waiting for a repair guy to show up.  While we were waiting we received a phone call from Josh's parents, Jarom had gone into cardiac arrest while he was working, was in a coma and was in the process of being life flight-ed to Salt Lake from Cedar City, UT.

I did my best not to panic, thoughts of Taylia ran through my mind.  We talked about whether or not Josh should fly out to Utah.  I looked up flights and told Josh what it would cost, he said it would be the same if we drove and everyone went.  So the next morning we got up and did exactly that.

We made it to Utah in two days, the first day we only made it Davenport, Iowa, we were lucky enough to get the last hotel room in the entire state.  They had a massive 4 city airshow going on, and we finished the long 19 hour haul to Fruit Heights, Utah the next day.  The only tragedies we had on the trip were a poor little bird who lost a fight with our mini van, and we left our pillows at the hotel in Davenport.  I didn't realize how big of a loss it was until I went to target to replace them, and they were $60 each!  I opted for some cheaper ones...I miss my old pillow.

 
The next morning we went to see Jarom, he had recovered enough that he had been moved out of the ICU.  I think he was happy to see us.

 
Once Josh's Grandparents heard we were coming, arrangements were made for them to come down from Star Valley, Wyoming.  To see the kids, I mean us...or so they say.
We also got to see our very dear friends the Shumway's they were leaving for Seattle the next morning.  We visited until the kids were melting down tired. It was so great to see them.
 
The next day Jarom had surgery to have an ICD put on his heart. 
Josh's favorite Family that he baptized most of in Taiwan happened to be in town so we got to out to dinner with them.
 
Josh and I got to spend a little time here
My sister came down from Idaho with her family, and my brother's ex-wife let us take Zach for a few hours.  We also got to spend time with Josh's best friend from High School and his family.
 
Mia and Eliza got up every morning and made everyone breakfast.
 
 we went out for frozen yogurt with my Aunt.  It just so happened that our very dear friends from Pittsburgh the Kimber's were ordaining their son a Deacon that same weekend.  They invited us to attend and we were more than happy to go. 
 
Some much needed time was spent with my Grandparents
 
My Grandpa is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, we were lucky he was somewhat coherent, even though he didn't really know who we are.

 
Grandpa wanted a specific picture taken with Wynter, he set the pose
 
and I took the picture



I listened with tears in my eyes as he told Mia that he loved her, that he knows she is a good girl and hopes she will always be good.  He also told her to help her mom, I am sure Mia didn't understand the magnitude of what was being said by this wonderful man, but my heart was touched.  They could very well be the last words I ever hear from him.


Jarom is doing better, he is tired but acting mostly like his old self.  We even got to on one of our dates, although the first cupcake place we went to was no longer there, but we were offered tattoo's by a very nice guy.  We found another place.
 
We also went to Moab, that post will be coming soon.
 
I guess what I am saying is, Thanks Jarom for almost dying. We really made the most of it!
 

2 comments:

kate said...

oh you totally should have gotten the tatoos! :)kidding. wow, so scary of a reason to have to take a trip. but i'm so glad he's doing better and that you got such a wonderful visit out of it. your pictures are really stunning jenn! love that you got to see the shumways and catch the kimbers while they were there too. it all sounds wonderful. (except the scary part.) thanks for posting, made my day.

Karen's Korner of the World said...

House is just too quiet...Thankful for the time we were together. Love you to the moonand back!(love the pictures with grandpa!)