Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's all about me

Doesn't that sound like such a selfish post title?  It does, but this post is really and truly going to be about me.  If you were hoping to see something about the kids, you are just going to have to wait.  (one is coming soon)
This past December I had a revelation, and not a good one, I realized that somehow in the last almost 12 years of being married and having children, I had lost myself.  I think I realized it one dreary day when I had to take McKinlee to preschool and  I had nothing to wear.  And I don't mean in a "too much to choose from" kind of way.  Somehow I had widdled down to one pair of pants, one pair of sweats(that had holes,) and one pair of maternity yoga pants, and all three were dirty.  As I sat in my room debating if I should wear my red candy cane pajamas, or a Sunday dress to drop my child off, it dawned on me,I have seriously been neglecting myself.  I settled on the dress, after I dropped McKinlee off, I came home got on to the computer and began searching for more clothes to add to my wardrobe, quickly becoming overwhelmed and lost.  I no longer even knew what I liked, and when I found something I thought was okay, I was shocked at the price and refused to spend that much on me. So I wandered on to the children and men's sections, found a few things for each person, not caring how much they cost, after all Josh has work, and Mia and McKinlee have school, and it wouldn't be fair to buy for them an not Wynter and Ryken, so checked out without making a single purchase for myself.  I didn't even realize what I had done until the next day when I went to get dressed.
Something needed to change, and it needed to come from within.  For some reason being a stay at home mom, has caused me to completely devalue myself in the name of sacrifice.  I can easily justify spending money on Josh and the children no matter how tight things were, but when it came to myself, it wasn't worth the money, I don't really go anywhere, and nobody cares how you look at walmart, plus I am hoping to lose the baby weight, I am still carrying from the last three kids, and it wouldn't be worth buying stuff just to lose weight.  I AM OBVIOUSLY SICK!
I began my quest for mental change by going to Kohls and literally forcing myself with Josh at my side for moral support, to buy a pair of jeans, that were on sale 40% off; plus, I had a coupon for an additional 30% off.  I felt terrible, selfish, and frustrated with myself for becoming this bad. I had just bought a nice pair of pants for 70% off and I felt awful. A few days later I was looking at things on the Internet for Josh and the kids,in part to make up for being so selfish a few days before, Josh came in, forced me to go the the women's page and had me buy a scarf I loved, even though it cost $30, and wouldn't not allow me to buy anything for him or the kids.  I have to admit when the package came and the kids were excitedly asking who it was for, it felt really good to tell them it was for me.  I let them help me open it, and I let them play with it, but only if the ask.  It is after all, mine.  I found some amazing websights here and here, where they sell really cute boutique items at discounted prices for one day only, and it has been nice getting jewelry, bags, and home decorations that I would never justify buying for myself at up to 90% off. 
I realized that in my 30's makeup and skin care is different than it was in my 20's and I was lost and didn't want to invest in something I might not like, or that worked for me 10 years ago but not anymore, I found this, and for 10 dollars a month they send an amazing high end make up sample box, that is worth well over 10 bucks, and I can try before I buy and they are catered to my age, complex, and skin type. 10 dollars a month seemed like a lot then I thought of the Sirius radio, and timeshare Josh has signed us up for, combined they cost nearly 5 times that, if we can afford that we can certainly afford 10 dollars for me to feel better about myself.
Next came new glass for my camera, I really wanted to get a new 50mm lens, and was torn between two different 50mm's.  One was what I really, really wanted and the other was a third of the cost, not as nice as the one I wanted, but it was still better than what I had.  I went back and forth between the two, I asked Josh what he thought and he said I should get the nicer one, but I didn't want to spend that much, when I felt like everyone in our home needed so much.  I went back and forth, and back and forth.  Then I was smacked up the head with a realization.  I have given up gifts from Josh, for Valentine's Day, Our Anniversary, My Birthday, and Christmas for the past 4 years, hoping to combine the gifts and get this one lens, each year something came up and I gave up the lens in the name of gymnastics, or a computer, or Josh's smart phone, why in the world am I feeling guilty about this!  I quickly ordered before I could change my mind, Now I can bring you images like this,
With Josh's encouragement I have enrolled in an online photography that I got on an amazing groupon, and once I finish the course I will be a certified photographer.

I also finally justified spending the money to paint the interior of our house
 I have to admit, it has been years since I have felt this good.  I am happier, my family is happier, I am more kind, and patient...it's been an eye opener.  I know I still have a long way to go but I am finally on the right road.  I wonder if there is a support group...haha. 
One last thing, I have to add, I am so grateful to have such a wonderful and supportive husband, he really has been fantastic through all of this..plus he never complained when he would come home day after day to find me still in my jammies, with my hair pulled back and no makeup on.
That is it about me for now, sorry if any one felt bored, Wynter's birthday post is coming soon.

5 comments:

kate said...

stop apologizing woman! :) i know i am not alone in thinking it's about darn time you filled your own bucket a little. you are such a giving person and loving mother, but being good to yourself doesn't take away from that. it will only help you in those roles. you know that though. :) so glad you got your lens, and your paint looks AWESOME, and i am so excited you are taking a course. that will be such a gift to your family for you to develop such a neat skill. we all need something about ourselves to feel good about, and with your beauty and your natural talents, it shouldn't make you feel a bit bad to accentuate those things with good equipment (clothes, makeup, and classes!) Good for Josh for encouraging you. :)

Karen's Korner of the World said...

Love you Jenn! Now you understand who I am!

Emilytw said...

I hope you don't mind if I comment. I enjoyed this post. I have been feeling this way too lately, and have just started to put a little more effort into myself... And it feels good. So glad you're doing some things for you! You deserve it, and your family will benefit from it too. :-)

Zent Family said...

I hope you rediscover the Jenn I know...an incredible, talented, beautiful woman!!! P.S. I think you should do a monthly review on your skin care samples. My skin care could also use an update....

Shumway's said...

Welcome to Mommy Guilt and just being a woman with a family. I have walked your road (remember the pajama pants and BUY t shirts I used to wear. I hated gaining weight after the kids and never having $$ to fix it. I find your coments timely since I have had a revelation of my own. I just had Mikey a month ago and after spending 9 months miserable and huge I just cant do it anymore. I cleaned out my closet and I only have 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of pajama pants and 1 clean shirt that isnt cute, but fits. I cried for 45 minutes on the closet floor and then I got up and bagged all of the clothes that are too small (way too small) and everything that looks aweful on me that I was afraid of throwing away just incase. I wore flip flops in snowstorms because I couldnt bare buying shoes if I wasnt able to look cute all over. What a mess. I was sick too. Well, this week I joined weight watchers, got work out DVD's and set goals. I feel better just doing something. Ive lost 7 lbs and feel better already. Im going to join a gym with child care so I can work out during the day so I dont feel guilty leaving Rick with the kids all night. My goal is that when I have lost 40lbs I am going shopping for a whole new basics wardrobe. I cant wait. Until then I have a few things I can wear (thanks to a much needed trip to the mall. I have a hair cut and mani-pedi planned as well. I am doing things one by one and as we can afford them but I have added myself back into my daily schedule as well. Cant wait to post a picture of me one day much healthier, happier and lookin cute in some new duds! I truely beleive that if I make an effort and feel better my whole family will be happier and better. Happy wife, happy life right:) Congratts Jenn. Next time you are in a mexican restauraunt and you catch your gaze you will think: Wow, she really puts in the effort and it shows. Glad I am her and not the one I saw last time I was in here:) I still think of that story everythime I see myself in sweats with no make up and no hair done! Love ya girl. Call me sometime. I would love to catch up and compare our startlingly similar notes!